Since 2019, vacations, festivals, concerts and other events have been cancelled due to the pandemic. However you can still enjoy outdoor activities safely this summer whilst adhering to social distancing practices.
We are here to share with you:
- Tips on how to prevent the spread & protect yourself
- some safe and fun summer outdoor activities for adults and kids
#1 Prevent the spread & protect yourself
Covid-19 virus is commonly transmitted through:
- Direct contact with respiratory droplets of an infected person (generated through coughing and sneezing) during close physical contact (within 6 feet or a few inches longer than a typical pool noodle, both in and out of the water)
- When individuals touch surfaces contaminated with the virus and touching their face (e.g., eyes, nose, mouth)
- Small droplets or virus particles that linger in the air for minutes to hours (happens most easily in enclosed spaces with inadequate ventilation)
So, prepare and plan well in advance if you are heading out for fun and make safety your primary concern.
The risk of outdoor transmission is smaller than indoor as outside has much better ventilation. However, it is important to keep in mind that you should always avoid the crowd and keep yourself apart from others to protect yourself from virus transmission.
Low-risk outdoor activities for adults and kids:
- Running & walking
- Kayaking, canoeing, diving
- Outdoor fitness/yoga classes that allow distance
- Relaxing and chilling on the beach
- Exploring local parks
High-risk outdoor should be avoided:
- High contact sports, e.g. wrestling & basketball
- Large gatherings
- Playgrounds, due to frequently touched surfaces of equipment